When our family first got into essential oils we mainly used them for sleep, seasonal immune system building, and a bit of light cleaning here and there. I had no idea that these little brown bottles would help me so much throughout the day and I am still learning just how much they can do! You will find that oils replaces so many products marketed out there and do just as good of a job. Here are 10 simple everyday cleaning hacks using essential oils:
Your kid took a sharpie to your floors or wall?
- Rub it off with a cloth and lemon essential oil.
You can’t stand the smell of your kid’s (or husband’s workout) shoes?
- Put a few drops of Purification essential oil blend (or any other strong smelling air-purifying oil) on a cotton ball and tuck it in there overnight.
You want things to smell fresh and clean when you vacuum?
- Put a few drops of essential oil on a cotton ball and suck it up while you vacuum. Lavender essential oil is a lovely scent for this. You could also put a few drops on the filter or in the bag to add some freshness to your cleaning.
You want to get rid of ants and spiders?
- Put 20 drops of peppermint essential oil + lemon essential oil in a spray bottle with a little distilled white vinegar and spray it along the baseboards and window sills where you find them coming in. I have a large amber bottle I use for this because ants love our home.
You don’t have an oil diffuser but you want to diffuse oils?
- Put several drops of any essential oil on a clothes pin and clip it to your air vents. It’s a cheap way to purify your air and make your home smell nice.
You don’t want to use chemically made dryer sheets but you want your clothes to smell good in the dryer?
- Buy wool dryer balls to cut down on drying time and add several drops of any essential oil to them before tossing in. The oil will stain the wool but that’s alright.
You want to clean your microwave but you don’t know how?
- In a glass, microwavable bowl add 1/2 cup water, 1 teaspoon of distilled white vinegar, and 10 drops of lemon essential oil. Turn on the microwave on “high” for four minutes and leave it alone for a few minutes before wiping down with a wet rag.
You forgot a load of laundry in the washer over night and they smell horrible?
- Add distilled white vinegar + five drops of lemon essential oil to the rinse compartment and rewash the load. I usually will do a “quick wash” which saves water and cuts down on washing time and our linens come out fresh and clean with no musty smell.
You want super sparkly dishes?
- Add several drops of lemon oil to the washing compartment and they will come out very shiny! I do this when we have a lot of glass that needs scrubbin’.
You want to de-germ your kids toys and other items around the house but don’t want to wash them individually and most importantly, you don’t want to use chemicals?
- Make a spray bottle with a splash of distilled white vinegar and the following essential oils: clove, tea tree, lemon, and lavender. Fill the rest with distilled water and use this as your homemade toy cleaner. I spray this on my yoga mat, the changing pads, and any other surface or item that could use a daily cleaning.
There are my 10 simple cleaning hacks using essential oils! What other ideas have you come up?