It’s still snowing, but let’s talk about grilled foods anyway. There is a bistro in town that makes one of my very favorite salads. It’s one of those meals that I find myself craving every now and again, so much so that I now make it at home quite a bit when oranges are in season like they are right now. Although its fancy champagne name may suggest otherwise, it’s a fairly simple salad, and a healthy one to boot! You can make this as a simple, wholesome weekday meal or as a wonderful indoor date night supper for you and your love. This dressing also pairs well with other grilled seafood and chicken. And if you don’t have a grill, a cast iron grill pan will do the job. That’s what I used!
Creamy Orange Champagne Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- Juice of one orange – I love using Cara Cara Oranges when they are sin season because they are deliciously sweet and sort of remind me of a blend of grapefruit & Meyer lemon.
- 4 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup avocado or walnut oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- large pinch sea salt and cracked pepper
To prepare, blend or whisk all vinaigrette ingredients together, adding the oil component last in a steady stream so the dressing emulsifies and does not separate. This recipe makes a little over one cup and you can store it in the refrigerator for up to a week. For a vegan dressing, you can leave out the mayonnaise or use Veganaise instead, it’s a staple in our kitchen.
Additional Salad Ingredients (Per Salad):
- A few cups of your favorite salad green will do – I use romain most frequently, but sometimes peppery frisee lettuce on occasion
- 1 ripe avocado sectioned and sliced
- 1 segmented orange sans pith – use whatever orange you made the vinaigrette with
- 6-8 grilled shrimp seasoned liberally with Old Bay seasoning and grilled on a cast iron pan or outdoor grill
- Shallots thinly cut into small rings
- Several cucumbers sliced
- Tomato wedges
- Goat cheese – if you’ve got it on hand!
Arrange your salad as you like and top with the orange champagne vinaigrette. Serve alongside warmed bread and a glass of chilled wine and you’re set!