Earlier this morning as I was helping Stella get ready for school she looked out the window at the light pouring in and sweetly noticed aloud, “The sun woke up early today!” Daylight savings is hard for some, but for me, and perhaps Stella too, it infuses our day with so much more life. I do enjoy it when the days get shorter in autumn and we cozy up by candle and hearth light, but by this time of year my soul is itching to see green and ready to sing spring.
Spring signals changes, new growth, tender abundance, and fresh rhythms. This time of year affects my mental health in such a positive way, and the current winter season has been rather long. Posts here have been sparse to say the least as I tend to pull back and rest more in the harder, darker months, but with new energy buzzing and light flowing, I feel the shift inside to dive into something I let slide many months ago – our book club! What do you say readers? Do you want to read together again?! Does this new season have you stirring as well?
While I love reading alongside you, last year’s book club became to hard to manage. I didn’t have the best system in place to engage with you all, and sending multiple newsletters on top of my other work, in addition to reading and writing a lot, made the book club heavier than it needed to be. But I have gotten so many requests from you all to start it up again, and I have been really wanting to give it a go again as well, so let’s do it! With your help, I believe I’ve come up with a few better and more engaging solutions!
- How much will we read? We read one book per month, selected by me out of a group of books curated seasonally by you.
- How and where will we discuss? We will begin reading each new book on 1st of the month, and discuss our book either as we read or when we are finished over at Goodreads. I created us a group through the Community link at the top of the site! There you can find HOMESONG book club where we will gather and share. I will post questions there to discuss from time to time, along with my takeaways from the book we are reading together. As a member of this book club, you must join there and plan on discussing each book we read.
- What will we read? You will receive the monthly book selection several weeks before we begin reading. I will poll the group each season on Goodreads and we will go from there! This should give you plenty of time to get or check out the book, also helping keep you accountable for checking in and following along with us. Because we are already nearing mid-March, I’ve selected our April book and it is…Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer – a book that I have been wanting to read for months! What do you think? The reviews are outstanding and it looks like a beautiful read. Have you heard of it?
- How else can we share? In addition to sharing over at Goodreads, I am going to do one review per book here at the end of each month, and you are more than welcome to comment on that and add your takeaways and general commentary. It will serve as a little summary for readers, and overtime, create a nice library for this Homesong community!
- What about social media? Use the hashtag #homesongbookclub anytime you are sharing something from our bookclub to connect and share our book club with others!
Now, here is what I need from you!
- First, tell me what questions you have or if I can help clarify anything.
- Secondly, tell me who you are and why you are joining our book club! I’ll go first.
Amanda – Reading is one of my favorite pastimes and ways to sink into the present, and when given the opportunity to discuss what it is I am reading with others, it opens up the experience and makes it much richer and more rewarding. I also really enjoy hearing a wide scope of perspectives and growing alongside others by tapping into the same book. In this season of my life, I am craving a community that can help motivate and help me dedicate more time to reading over other less healthy habits, while spending more time considering the words on the page! I cannot wait to read your who and why! And what do you think about April’s book selection?