Autumn has drifted away, carrying the birds and the leaves elsewhere and winter has arrived. Big, fluffy flakes are gently blanketing the ground outside our windows and the world feels as though it moving at a snail’s pace in slow motion. Sitting inside, wrapped up in my robe, it looks as though we’re in one big snow globe. We’ve got books to read and movies to watch and I’ve just finished baking lemon berry cornmeal muffins to munch on throughout the day. My coffee has a bit of cinnamon in it to keep me warm and the kids are going to stay in jammies till supper. The magic of winter is really something else. It is nature’s invitation to slow down and rest, to gather round those you love and hibernate together. To keep you feeling your best throughout these colder months, I have put together a list of the essential oils and natural products we have woven into our family’s winter wellness routine. I hope they offer you and your family protection, nourishment and restoration until we are greeted by spring.
Let’s Start with the Powerful Thieves Oil Blend:
- I make a homemade spray to help control the spread of germs throughout winter. It’s a nice one to have on hand all year long, especially if you’re one who uses a lot of hand sanitizer. In a 2 oz. amber bottle, combine 20 drops of Thieves Oil Blend into 1/8 teaspoon of salt. The oil will hug the salt and prevent it from separating. Fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water and shake before spraying on door handles, counters, toys…anything! You can also use this to sanitize the air by spraying in your car at your changing table or wherever you’re in need of freshening up. I have several of these throughout our home and in diaper bags etc. A motherhood essential for sure.
- You can diffuse this oil to help purify and humidify the air. We like to start our mornings with several drops of Thieves Oil Blend in our home diffuser to start our day. If someone in our family is feeling under the weather, we will diffuse in their room that evening.
- We love Thieves Household Cleaner and use it in our homemade all-purpose counter sprays. It smells like clove and cinnamon which makes for a warm, spicy scent while cleaning.
- We use this oil to support our immune systems as well. I have made a roller bottle with 20 drops of Thieves Oil Blend + 5 drops of Lemon Oil into a carrier oil (almond or grapeseed work well) and put on the bottoms of everyone’s feet before bedtime. If you or a little one is sick, you can do this multiple times a day and cover their foot with a sock.
- I enjoy a wellness tea made with Thieves. I’dd warm water in the kettle and add one drop of Thieves Oil Blend + 1 tablespoon of raw honey to my mug. Sometimes I’ll add in one drop of Lemon Oil or a fresh orange slice. This is my remedy for a sore throat.
- Thieves Hard Lozenges! We stock up on these a few months before winter and use them throughout the season. They are a little spicy, but we love the flavor.
Support Your Respiratory Health:
- One of our favorite oils is R.C. Oil Blend which is a combination of three types of Eucalyptus Oil and is very comforting when applied to the neck or throat. This is not an oil blend we use on the little ones. Diffusing this blend by our bedside when in need of support is nice, too.
- For respiratory support for little ones we use Marjoram Oil + Frankincense Oil blended with a carrier, such as almond oil on their feet and backs.
- You can also use Peppermint Oil to ease tension.
- Myrtle Oil, Pine Oil, and Raven Oil Blend are also good oils to use during this season.
- Breathe Again Oil Blend Roller comes in a pre-made roller and is handy because it combines many of the above oils all ready for you to use if needing respiratory support. Purchasing pre-made blends is a great way to support your wellness without having to buy each individual oil.
Support Your Body’s Natural Defense:
- Clove Oil, which is an important ingredient in Thieves Oil Blend, is a great one to use to help boost your immune system. We add this to blends to diffuse and to our homemade roller bottle remedies.
- We use a variety of citrus oils to help support the body’s natural defense. Our favorites are Lemon Oil, Orange Oil, Grapefruit Oil & Bergamot Oil. Grapefruit Oil & Bergamot Oil are a favorite to diffuse with Pine Oil and Eucalyptus Oil. I also enjoy cooking with these oils and add them sparingly to soups, stews, marinades and baked goods. Other citrus oils include Lime Oil and Tangerine Oil.
- Purification Oil Blend deodorizes and neutralizes the air. This one is great to have on hand in the kitchen or laundry room for cleaning purposes.
- Thyme Oil & Oregano Oil are both purifying and cleansing oils that can help boost your immune system and support your body’s natural defense.
Promote a Good Night’s Sleep Throughout this Season of Rest:
- We use Lavender Oil, Roman Chamomile Oil, Cedarwood Oil, White Angelica Oil Blend & Dream Catcher Oil Blend to support relaxation. You can make your own calming linen sprays to use on pillows and blankets before bedtime by adding 30 drops of your preferred essential oil to 1/8 teaspoon of salt to a 2 oz. amber bottle. Fill the rest with distilled water and shake before use. We spray the kids linens before naps and bedtime. It has become part of our routine, one that helps calm and soothe them to sleep through the night.
- Gentle Baby Oil Blend, Peace & Calming Oil Blend & Stress Away Oil Blend are three we enjoy diffusing at night to wind down. They are also lovely paired with carrier oils for a massage on your little one after bath time. You can also add these to a palm full of epsom salt right to your warm bath water as well! It’s such a great way to end the day.
A Little Something for the Holidays:
- The holiday season is a wonderful time to incorporate essential oils into homemade gifts for others. While you can really use any oil when making natural products, these are a few of my favorites to use this season: Christmas Sprit Oil Blend, Cinnamon Bark Oil, Clove Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Orange Oil, Thieves Oil Blend, Pine Oil, & Balsam Fir Oil.
For the curious, visit the links to read more about Homesong Essential Wellness, to gather information on Joining our essential oil family and to get your hands on more all-natural remedies using essential oils.
Meg - hiya, love the new site! Just wondering where you purchase your 2oz amber dropper bottles? I know you usually link the sites but I can’t seem to see it. Thanks in advance 🙂
Jolynn Enz - Hi Amanda,
I recently read that peppermint, eucalyptus and rosemary oils are unsafe to use on children under 6. What is your take on this? I have two little guys : 8 months and 3 years, and I’m trying to be as informed as possible regarding essential oil use.
P.S. LOVE you new site!
admin - Hello Jolynn! I too have read about this. In our home we keep these oils below the chest and only on their little feet with a carrier oil. I don’t use Rosemary or Peppermint on the kids, but we do use Eucalyptus in small amounts with a carrier oil. Stella has a cold and it’s been helping her out so much! We like Eucalyptus Radiata for her. With oils it all comes down to parent’s digression so do what you feel most comfortable doing mama! And thank you for the kind words, I so appreciate it. xx Amanda
mimi - Hi! My 6 month old baby girl caught the cold and has a runny nose, sneezing and wet cough with a low fever. Are there any essential oils you can recommend to diffuse or even put on her directly? We use young living as well. Thanks for your help!!
Larissa Kelsey - Hi Amanda, I’ve tried looking for this answer on the internet but can’t find one. I’m using an ultrasonic diffuser in my daughters room, and use distilled water in it. I put it on the setting of going on for a certain amount of time, then going off for a certain amount of time. When I put it on at night it smells wonderful with the oils, but in the morning when I go in her room, her room smells funny, almost like a damp musty smell. It’s hard to explain but hoped you may have some insight as to what could cause the room to smell that way. Side note, it doesn’t matter which oil I use, it does it with all of them.
Maria - Beautiful website. Great article.